Some Funny Diabetic Stories from the Web!



“While driving past the local "Lowes" hardware store, our five year old son with diabetes started to laugh and said, "I had a low at Lowes, remember that?" He thought it was so weird (and hilarious)...funny how he made the connection.”


“My son was diagnosed on November 29, 2004. He was 15 at the time. Since this is all new to us, we are doing finger pokes in the middle of the night. One night I went in and did the poke and my heart sunk. I said, "My God, it's 28!" Steven looked at me and said, "Mom, you have it upside down, it's 82." Oh well I was tired.”


“My three-year-old daughter had been diabetic for two years when my five-year-old son was diagnosed as well. My husband didn't want to tell him, but of course we had to or else he wouldn't understand why he was getting a shot. We sat him down before dinner and told him that he was diabetic, just like his sister. He immediately started to cry (as did my husband and myself), when suddenly he blurts out I hate diet sprite”


“On a site change the day before Halloween, my daughter Megan (8, diagnosed at 5) told me to make sure I refill her insulin pump reservoir because she was going to be doing a lot of bolusing. “


“Diabetes always has its challenges. When Kiersten, now nearly 13, was about 4, she had one day where her numbers were unusually high. When I asked her what she'd eaten and whether she could think of ANYTHING that she may have had, she looked a bit puzzled. I asked her again, and she said, "I did have one of Bailey's dogbones. I didn't think THAT would matter."


“The other night we went to Popeye's for dinner. My 11 year-old daughter with diabetes went to the soda machine to get a drink and started getting some Fanta Fruit Punch. I asked her why she was getting that, because she knows it has sugar. She looked at me and said "Mom, it says right here that is non-carbonated." I didn't understand what she was thinking at first, but then I saw it, "non-CARB-inated." Obviously a child with diabetes didn't invent that word!”


“The first winter after my daughter was diagnosed she came to me and asked if snow had sugar in it. When I replied no she said. "Oh goody! I can eat as much as I want."


“I just started teaching kindergarten. Since my 10-year-old son is a diabetic, the school decided to have a new student with diabetes in my class. Thing were going fine until the student decided to EAT part of a crayon and taste the glue. I looked at him and said, "Sweetie, please don't eat the art supplies. I don't know how to count the carbs for them!"


“I never thought my five-year-old daughter would use diabetes to her advantage. One day after lunch at the mall, I treated her to an ice cream dessert. I wanted to have a little taste of it. I asked her if I could have a few licks, hoping she would graciously share. Instead she said, "Mom you'll mess up the carb count!"


“I was diagnosed a couple months ago. The other day, I badly miscalculated the insulin for my dinner carbs, and an hour later found that I had dropped pretty low. So I grabbed some carbs, and then, because I'd never been quite that low before and was alone with the kids, I called my ten year old over to give him the standard mommy-is-low speech: ".. so if I start acting funny or fall to the floor --" "I know, I know," he interrupted. "Dump a glass of water on your head and give you a juice box." I started laughing and told him dumping the water was probably not necessary. "I know," he said, "but I bet I could get away with it."


“My 12 year old diabetic son and I were walking through the isles of a local supermarket when I caught my son staring intently at an attractive young lady walking down the isle a little ways away from us. Embarrassed and worried that his father and I might have to have a talk with him, I told him that staring like that wasn't nice. He looked up at me perplexed and surprised me with his answer. "What? I was just trying to see what kind of pump she had." Surprised that he would think of such an excuse, I stole a quick glance in the lady's direction and, sure enough, hooked to the side of her belt was a blue insulin pump. I guess all is really not lost.


“I am a 15 year old diabetic, and I was talking to my crush's friend about liking him. He said, "Eric doesn't like high maintenance girls like you." This is the complete opposite of me and I questioned why he thought that. "Well, you're always checking your pager, even during lunch!" I laughed--he didn't know it was an insulin pump!”


“I am a 15 year old diabetic, and I was talking to my crush's friend about liking him. He said, "Eric doesn't like high maintenance girls like you." This is the complete opposite of me and I questioned why he thought that. "Well, you're always checking your pager, even during lunch!" I laughed--he didn't know it was an insulin pump!


“Robbie had his 6th birthday at diagnosis in hospital. He has been able to check blood sugars since that time. He got his pump at 7 and has been able to operate it, calculate boluses, push buttons, etc. I did set the pump bolus maximum at 2.9u so he couldn't mistake 0.3 for 3.0 when he was first getting used to decimals. It has really helped his math skills. For example, if I say 15 chips for .5u, he will bolus 2.0 units and then announce, "Ooops, now I have to have 60 potato chips because you don't want me to go low!"Tonight after her bath Rachel, age 5, was running around the house giggling, "I'm naked, I'm naked....oops, except I'm wearing my site!"


“Tonight after her bath Rachel, age 5, was running around the house giggling, "I'm naked, I'm naked....oops, except I'm wearing my site!"


“We were eating dinner at a restaurant one night and our 3-year old son Jacob, diagnosed at 18 months, was starting to get very quiet, staring, etc. I very quietly asked him if he was getting low so as not to make a scene. Just as I went to reach for his meter he very loudly proclaimed, "NO MOMMY, I'M GETTIN' HIGH!" Boy did the heads turn to us (if they only knew the real meaning why he said that...one of those bittersweet moments).”


“I am 15 years old and have been diabetic for four years. Once, during a softball game, I was sitting on the bench and I called to my mom, "Hey mom, can you get me some alcohol?" I meant that I needed an alcohol swab to do an insulin shot. You should have seen the looks on the parents' faces when my mom replied, "Sure honey, I'll go get you some!"


“We were at a block party and there was so much for the kids to do that it seemed every half hour my son Josh had to return to our table to treat a low. A little girl from another family accompanied him everytime and watched intently as he checked his sugar before and again after he ate. His cousins teased him about his new girlfriend. He asked her to show them the Tomagotchi she had in her pocket, a toy with a little virtual pet that you must feed and take care to maintain its health. He then said, "I am not her new boyfriend, I am her new Joshagotchi!"


“Let me begin by saying that when I'm stressed, it tends to work it's way to my stomach. When my son was diagnosed at 3, the doctor was sitting on the bed next to him, having a very big boy discussion about what diabetes was. The doctor said, "Can you say it? Can you say DI-A-BE-TES?" My son looked at him for a moment, very seriously, and said, "My mommy has DI-A-RHE-A".


“Last night, I grilled up a couple Porterhouse Steaks. Since Nicky loves steak, he asked for a small piece. So we asked him if he wanted to dip it in a little sauce (Peter Luger Sauce or A1, etc.), and said "Yes, I want to dip it in A1c sauce!"